Proposed zoning amendments aim to streamline the review process for establishing child care facilities and expand the allowable areas for both child care homes and child care centers. The Planning Commission will consider the following updates:
- Allow large family care homes (daycares up to 14 children) by right in all residential units consistent with State law.
- Allow child care centers by right in residential districts when paired with a public/quasi public use (ex. school or church).
- Allow standalone child care centers in residential districts, including converting a residential structure into a child care center.
- Allow child care centers in commercial areas by right for up to 24 children. A Use Permit would be required for child care centers with 25 or more children.
- Update parking standards for child care centers.
Zoning Ordinance from Redwood City that aligns with SB 234